North Country Brewing Company
December 4, 2021
Slippery Rock, PA
Located in the heart of college town Slippery Rock, PA, the labyrinth of an ever-expanding and evolving brick and wood facade of a building known as the North Country Brewing Company has taken a permanent residence in what was once a funeral home. The original construction, dating back to 1805, still partially stands and was salvaged and restored to save the history of the building while still pushing forward to the future.
The original 1805 building was built to accommodate the family of its owner, Peter Uber. Over time, the building was expanded and transformed into a bar and small inn to make ends meet for the family. As the Civil War quickly approached, the building was reimagined into a funeral home, as well as a woodworking business run by Peter’s son, William. By the time the Civil War was at its’ peak, the Uber & Sons – Undertakers and Furniture Dealers turned a significant profit.
Unfortunately, Peter did not live much longer than the end of the Civil War. That being said, he only saw the infancy of the funeral home and furniture shop. William then brought his son, Carrol, into the fold. Carrol ultimately took control and continued the family business by the mid-1920s. At this point, the building had been modified and expanded to the layout it shows to this day. In an effort to keep the business in the family, Carrol passed down the funeral home to his son Elton. Elton continued the business but closed the funeral parlor in 1974 only to continue the woodworking portion of the business. He retired in 1994, ending the long line of family business just north of Pittsburgh.
The married couple of Bob and Jodi McCafferty purchased the empty building four years later in 1998.They refurbished the building with as much salvaged material as possible while also altering the construction. The old funeral home and furniture shop was transformed into a brewery and restaurant while creating living quarters for the owners on the second floor. By 2005, the North Country Brewing Company was up and running and immediately made an impact on the town and its residents.
Aside from the expected macabre tales, strange sightings and odd energies have been reported throughout the historical building. Footsteps and the phantom opening/closing of doors, as well as sightings of strange lights and orbs, seem to be nearly commonplace in this old building. Visitors and employees alike have experienced even more than these anomalies. Some of the experiences seem more or less intentionally malign. There has been a regular visitor dubbed “Roy” who likes to linger and hide all throughout the building stirring up trouble and even causing harm. His name can be found written in dried paint and there are numerous accounts of him batting items out of employees’ hands. Roy was even captured on video tearing down Christmas decorations in the second-floor bar. Not much is known of Roy but there is a more well-known former employee who died in 2017 named Roger. Roger was a maintenance manager for the brewery. One cold December evening, Roger fell out a window to the outside veranda below. Surviving the initial fall, Roger crawled all the way up the metal stairs to the second-floor hallway where he was found. Roger passed away in a nearby hospital from the trauma sustained during the fall. It is in this very area that Roger has been seen out of the corner of people’s eyes, enough so that the second-floor closet has been named Roger’s Room.
Another well-known and aptly named spirit has been spotted all throughout the restaurant, but mainly in the upstairs bathroom. Levinia, nicknamed Grandma, has made an ethereal home mainly in the women’s bathroom on the second floor. In this bathroom sits a single chair in the corner. This chair has been said to move and change location throughout the inside of the bathroom. Most employees refuse to sit or even use the chair without asking Grandma. The handicapped stall right across from it is also said to lock on its own, forcing employees to crawl underneath between stalls to unlock it and no one is ever to be seen there. Grandma has also been said to venture into the seating area, both upstairs and downstairs, as well. She has been said to impatiently wait for patrons to lift their legs so she can sweep up the floor below them and their tables.
A woman in white watches over children that are said to linger here in the afterlife. Back when the McCafferty’s lived above the restaurant, their child Sam, on more than one occasion, was woken up by giggling or just simply disturbed as if forced awake. This was brushed off as just an unsettled baby until Jodi heard a phrase of “Hi baby” come through the baby monitor. The parents rushed in to check on the odd occurrence and ultimately ended up searching the entire building for an intruder. Later that same night, this was heard once more essentially forcing Jodi to bring Sam into their room. Following these strange episodes, Jodi was shoved down the steps as she was holding her baby. Luckily, Jodi was able to fall on her side and protect the baby, but this same woman appeared to be after Sam.
Current employees have spotted shadow figures standing in the basement countless times. This area seems to creep out the employees as none of them like going down there on their own. Locals have claimed that there may be a dark presence here based on old satanic rituals that occurred in that dirt floor, stone wall area. There is no credence to this nor have there been any passed down stories to the current employees and owners. Needless to say, these legends have seeped out of that former funeral home somehow, someway. As if basements aren’t creepy enough on their own, many feel there is dark energy remaining there.
As we arrived and started to get acquainted with the building and locations, we were greeted by Jen, Kevin, and Hannah who guided us through the structure and shared with us their personal stories. We took a break in the tour as we heard about Roy’s name being carved into the wood and pursued this lead. The location was ultimately found with the help of a flashlight, ladder, and Hannah’s reach (or at least her determination). Moving downstairs following this find, we spotted a wet circle on the bar floor. When the crew traced this leak, it led them to the furnace inside the utility room right behind the location of where Roy’s name was etched. Just as they found out it was an electrical issue, the jukebox (encased in an old wooden cabinet, locked with wooden pegs) popped open and began, ironically, playing the song “Electric Love.” This shocked everyone as we all realized the cabinet was locked and the music was shut off.
At this point, we didn’t want to waste any more time and began to shuttle in our equipment and set up our brand new stationary trail cameras. On top of this, we also had one handheld camera to take along with us and one more stationary camera set up in the basement. Additionally, we utilized the majority of our equipment with two recorders, two K2 meters, one SB7 Spirit Box, one FLIR thermal imaging camera, one Phasma Box, one SLS camera, one IR light, one Ovilus, four light-up cat balls, four hotel bells, and one pendulum. With only two of us and a lot of ground to cover, we did not end up going live as we wanted to get in touch with the active spirits. The investigation began roughly around 11:30 PM and, with all the experiences we encountered, lasted until about 4:30 AM.
The majority of the evidence we captured, paired up with our personal experiences, throughout the night spent inside the historic brewery have led us to believe there was a significant amount of paranormal activity recorded here. We collected verbal communication through the Phasma Box and Spirit Box, yes/no answers to our questions with flashlights, and light anomalies on video recordings. We even captured a full-bodied apparition from video reviews of our stationary camera! We managed to capture full figures on the SLS camera between the First Floor Bar and the First Floor Front Dining Room as well.
The entire building appears to be a haven for the spirit known as Roy whom we believe we captured in numerous locations during our investigation. He seemed to be mainly present on the second floor including both at the Bar and possibly in Grandma’s Bathroom. He may have even been the one playing with the jukebox and causing chaos with the water leak before the investigation. However, neither of these can be confirmed nor debunked. He did not seem welcoming and wanted us to leave as he made unsettling noises in the bathroom. Was this ghostly indigestion or a warning from something unseen? He seems to hide in dark corners and areas away from people, laying in wait until he wants to appear. We do believe we captured him on video as he attempted to flee this area when no one else was around as well as in the SLS camera lurking on the first floor. We also believe that a young child was playing with our gadgets and flashlights upstairs. Unfortunately we did not gather a name from the child, nor did it seem to want to speak with us using our devices. As we have experienced at other locations that hold the energy left behind by long passed children, they saw our equipment more as toys rather than communication methods, clicking the flashlights on and off. On occasions we did feel the lights were being used to answer yes or no to some of our more simple questions. In the First Floor Bar, we believe we recorded the name of Dave who seemed quite talkative but also did not want to give away too much information. This entity appeared to be held back by someone else, possibly Roy, who was much stronger than he. Even though we did not spend much time in the basement area, our camera died with a full battery and corrupted our last file so we couldn’t review this portion to see what happened. However, as we spent just a few minutes in the basement, we did not feel welcoming energy. Something/someone even growled at us as a pounding sound was heard somewhere in the kegs behind us.
Upon a thorough review and analysis of our evidence captured during our overnight paranormal investigation of the North Country Brewing Company, we collected recordings, videos, and photographs that we feel hold some significance. Every moment and piece of evidence captured is mentioned below as we attempt to prove or debunk each. A brief explanation of each scenario is also presented to bring you along with us during our night at North Country Brewery. We’d LOVE to hear your thoughts and opinions as you watch, listen, and read all of our experiences and evidence.
As always, you have been warned, some of this is not for the faint of heart and can be slightly explicit:
Pre Investigation / Walkthrough
As we walked through the building with Jen and Hannah, our first major stop was due to a significant intrigue of Roy’s name written somewhere on a beam above the second-floor bar. The story tells that while this beam was being painted, Roy made himself known and wrote his name in the wet paint. Those who have seen his name, claim that it’s much more ingrained in the wood rather than just paint. After some searching, we did manage to find his name, and it did appear as though it was gouged into the wood rather than just the paint itself.
As we made our way back down to the first floor, the group of us noticed a wet spot on the floor in a circular design. Upon further review, a bulge in the ceiling, leading to the fan, showed water coming through the floor creating this wet circle. As the maintenance crew checked into this, we followed and remained in the second-floor bar area discussing some of the employees’ stories. Just underneath Roy’s name is where the utility room was located. Just as the crew located the issue and explained that it was electrical-based, the nearby jukebox burst to life, playing the song “Electric Love” as if a nod to the electrical issues. To top this oddity, the doors to the jukebox, which were made of wood and latched closed on their own, had music jump on starling the entire group of us.
As we were about to do a quick live walkthrough, we decided to balk at this as we alternatively chose to jump right into our investigation with all the activity.
- We found Roy’s name written on the beam above the second floor bar area.
- The photo attached is just to show the jukebox and the wood enclosure around it.
Second Floor Front Dining Room
This area has been said to produce dark shadow figures and is one of the locations to which employees typically do not like to venture alone after dark. Grandma has been felt here, awaiting some people to raise their legs so she could clean underneath the tables and the children have been heard giggling and playing here.
We were seemingly pulled toward this direction after we completed our walkthrough and the activity began to pick up. Our hosts recommended we leave a stationary camera in this area in hopes of finding the figure that many have seen, but unfortunately to no avail. As we sat in some silence with our recorder and handheld camera, there was a strange sound of water running at one point. We could not trace this but it’s a possibility this sound was echoing from either the Kitchen or the scrub sink below us. We did not spend an excessive amount of time here as the energy had felt like it changed tremendously, but we felt a strong urge that someone had left this area and made their way toward Grandma’s Bathroom, which is exactly where we headed next.
- We did not capture any pictures out of the ordinary.
Recorder 1 – EVP:
- Our quiet EVP session did not produce too much activity here, but at about 1:50 there was an odd noise of running water.
Video 1 – Stationary:
- At about 0:03, there is an odd light moving from the right side toward the left.
Video 2- Handheld:
- At about 2:00, there was an odd sound of water running followed by a sound of whistling at about 6:07.
In this simplistic bathroom on the second floor, down the hallway from the dining room, sits a sole chair outside a pair of wooden restroom stalls. It has been said that this chair, dubbed Grandma’s Chair, will move from time to time and will end up in different locations throughout the room. No one who has worked more than a day in the restaurant is willing to sit in the chair without Grandma’s blessing, or some refuse to sit in it completely. Other occurrences here include the far side, a larger stall being locked on its own forcing employees to shimmy under the small gap underneath the stalls to unlock it. This has also been said to be attributed to Grandma wanting her privacy or simply getting the employees’ attention.
We set up a stationary camera in here and used simple recorders and an additional handheld camera to complete some EVP sessions. At first, we did not appear to capture much but we attempted to stir some activity up as we proceeded to sit in Grandma’s Chair, without asking nonetheless. This did produce a knocking sound but as we listened back to the audio there was an odd, deep, and scratchy voice that was heard just as we sat in the chair. We attempted to listen to this again but the recording disappeared temporarily, only to reappear as we re-entered the bathroom. Right after this break, we attempted to utilize some of our physical devices such as the Spirit Light and K2 meters. We could not get any interactions here until we once again played back the recording with the voice in it. Almost simultaneously, the Spirit Light jumped along with the K2 meter. We believe the spirit here was trying to reaffirm their presence and just let us know that they were listening and that they were present. Even with the stories about this location, not to mention the room’s namesake, we do not believe we encountered Grandma herself but instead a darker, more malignant, negative energy.
- We did not have any photographs here but we did include a video still of the K2 light going off and another of the Spirit Light turning on.
Recorder 1 – EVP:
- At about :09, the deep voice could be heard even though we could not clearly make out what they said.
Recorder 2 – EVP:
- Following that noise and Derrick sitting in Grandma’s Chair, we asked if they minded and at :07 a knocking sound was heard loudly.
Recorder 3 – EVP:
- As we returned to attempt to contact Grandma once more, we used some of our physical devices here. They lit prior to us beginning the recording and occurred once again as we played the initial recording back to hear their voice the first time.
Video 1 – Handheld:
- As odd as the voice sounded that was captured on the recorder, this was not heard on the video.
- The knocking/banging sound could be heard though at about 2:26.
Video 2 – Handheld:
- After adjusting the camera, we captured what sounded like a voice which did not appear on the recorders at about 4:01.
Video 3 – Handheld:
- As we re-entered the bathroom and played back the previous recording, it seemed like whoever was here with us liked to hear their own voice or us talking about them. The K2 meter spiked numerous times, each one occurring when we had played the recorder of their voice back or as we discussed them and these occurrences between ourselves.
- K2 meter spikes seen at the below time stamps:
Second Floor Bar
The majority of this beautiful wooden-clad bar area was designed and completed by the new owners, mostly by their own hands. Stories abound of footsteps throughout the area and the door to the Kitchen area opening and closing on its own. Between the countless long, painstaking nights spent renovating here combined with the history before the restaurant, there’s no doubt that massive amounts of energy have been displaced in this location leading to this paranormal activity. Both Grandma and Roy have been notoriously spotted and experienced here, and Roy has seemingly left his mark with his name written in paint/scratched in wood.
As excited as we were to jump back to this spot after the unexplained experiences that occurred earlier in the night, it took quite some time for things to get moving in this area. At first, we did hear footsteps here as we entered the area but this is another occurrence where it seemed as though Derrick was unwanted, and more activity picked up as he left the area. The Ovilus and flashlights began slowly until finally whoever was playing with those very flashlights began to answer questions for us and even speak through the Spirit Box, as minimally as that may have been. After pretending as though they were Roy (even though the energy produced here was not at all conducive to his explained behaviors) and answering some yes/no questions on the flashlights, did ultimately conclude that this was one of the children spirits playing games with us and, towards the end of our time here, was messing with us and the tools we brought for them.
- Attached is a picture of a moment when both flashlights jumped to life answering our questions before being told to “Go.”
Recorder 1 – EVP:
- As we began to speak and introduce ourselves, the Ovilus produced the words “Maybe” and “Known” as if the employees with us had already been acquainted with them around 0:07.
- Across the room, where footsteps were previously heard, the first flashlight shot on at about 0:50.
- We were discussing the possibility of rumors of satanic worship in the basement when the words “Raised” and “Devil” were captured on the Ovilus at 1:22 as if agreeing with the rumor we heard.
- The Ovilus continued to produce words, saying “Fight” at 1:38 and “Unholy” at 2:12.
Recorder 2 – Spirit Box:
- We asked quite bluntly if Roy was with us, and we heard a timid, child-like voice at :07 almost questioning us with a “Yes?”
Recorder 3 – Spirit Box:
- As we continued to dig, we captured “Roy” at 0:03 followed by “Help, Roy?” at 0:08.
- Just as we began to discredit this actually being Roy and rather someone else playing with us, Jen’s phone froze up around 0:40 then we heard a command of “Go” at 1:07 as if they were angry that we figured out their game.
Recorder 4 – EVP Flashlight Session:
- After a long period of nothing, there were strange sounds echoing from the Kitchen below us at 4:30.
- We discussed this occurrence and who could be with us. After another brief silence, at 6:10, the flashlight on the far side of the room turned on.
- At about 7:17, a door could be heard slamming closed coming from downstairs when all of us were in this bar area.
- We asked if they could turn the light off if they were not done speaking and wanted to continue to answer yes/no questions, and at 8:35, the light turned off.
- The flashlight flickered back on moments later so we once again asked if they could turn the light back off and leave it off for now, and at 9:07 it turned back off.
- This command may have been confused as the light stayed off for a little bit until the word “Open” appeared on the Ovilus at 11:35 followed by the flashlight turning on at 11:40, unprompted.
- We explained that we wanted to ask some yes/no questions and if they could turn the light back off, we could proceed. At 12:50, the flashlight shut off.
- After some brief silence, there was a slam heard downstairs around 14:03.
- We proceeded to ask if they moved downstairs or if they were still with us, and at 14:38, the flashlight turned on.
- Mere moments later, we heard breathing at 15:02.
- As the light stayed on from our previous request, we asked if they could turn the light even brighter, and at 15:45, it drew more light.
- We then asked if they liked Jen and the light got even brighter yet, which we didn’t even know was possible, at 15:55 following that moment it shut off.
- Kevin then asked if they knew who he was, and to light the flashlight for yes, and at 16:20, it turned on then off again.
- After we asked if they liked to play games, the flashlight actually stayed off as if answering “No” around 16:32.
- We asked if they were afraid and at 17:18, the flashlight jumped on then grew more intensified at 17:25 as we explained that they did not have to be afraid.
- As the light remained on, we simply asked if they could turn it back off and at 18:40, they did just that.
- Suddenly, and unprompted, the opposite flashlight ignited for the first time around 19:10.
- After it shut off, we then asked if they wanted us to leave, and at 21:01, the flashlight turned back on and even got brighter.
- After some silence, the flashlight shut off. We then asked if they felt safe, and at 25:23, the flashlight turned on but in a very weak state.
- We reiterated the yes/no responses and began to ask if they could turn the lights on if – and we were suddenly cut off as both flashlights turned on at 25:37 and shut off moments later.
- The Ovilus produced “Portal” at 26:16 and after we asked if they could turn the light back on if this room or building was a portal, the flashlight flicked on at 27:44.
- The word “Clean” appeared on the Ovilus at 28:18.
- As if the lights were stuck on for a while, we finally asked if they could turn the lights back off. At 31:45, it did in fact shut off.
- The lights flickered a few times after this then stayed on momentarily until we asked if they could turn both lights off if they wanted to follow us downstairs. At 35:40, the closer flashlight turned off then at 36:53, the second flashlight, further away, shut off.
Recorder 5 – EVP (Secondary/Backup):
- This is simply a back up recorder which produces the same outcomes as Recorder 1 – EVP:
- Where footsteps were heard, the first flashlight turned on at about 0:07.
- We discussed the rumors of satanic worship in the basement and the words “Raised” and “Devil” were captured on the Ovilus at 0:39.
- The Ovilus continued to produce words, saying “Fight” at 0:53 and “Unholy” at 1:26.
Recorder 6 – Spirit Box (Secondary/Backup):
- This is a similar situation being a back up to reconfirm what we heard, and in fact did. This will match up closely with Recorder 2 – Spirit Box:
- We asked if Roy was with us, and heard, at 0:04, a question with a “Yes?”
Recorder 7 – Spirit Box (Secondary/Backup):
- Again, this backup recorder matched up once again, this time with Recorder 3 – Spirit Box:
- We continued to dig, and captured “Roy” at 0:08 followed by “Help, Roy?” at 0:13.
- As we began to discredit this being Roy, instead, someone else playing with us, Jen’s phone froze up around 0:50 then we heard a command of “Go” at 1:15.
Video 1 – Stationary:
- In this clip, there was a strange oddity with the lower screen freezing and even changing views at about 0:02.
Video 2 – Stationary:
- At 0:01, there was a light seen moving in front of the door.
Video 3 – Stationary:
- There were two light anomalies seen moving away from us at :01 then :06.
Video 4 – Stationary:
- This oddity saw the door swinging open then all of a sudden a black shadow, without features or characteristics or movements like a human being could be seen moving though it. There is even a person moving up the steps on the right side of the screen that you can clearly make out features of to compare and contrast the two.
Video 5 – Handheld:
- We introduced ourselves and the Ovilus showed “Maybe” and “Known” at 0:10.
- Across the room, the flashlight turned on at 0:45.
- We discussed the rumors of satanic worship and “Raised” and “Devil” appeared on the Ovilus at 1:17.
- The Ovilus produced more words with “Fight” at 1:33 and “Unholy” at 2:07.
Video 6 – Handheld:
- We asked if Roy was with us, and we heard a child-like voice at 5:01 questioning us with a “Yes?”
- We then captured “Roy” at 9:02 and oddly “Help, Roy?” at 9:07.
- We discredited this entity being Roy and rather someone else playing with us. Just then, Jen’s phone froze around 9:39 as we heard a command of “Go” at 10:06 as if they were angry that we figured them out.
Video 7 – Handheld:
- After a period of nothing, there were strange sounds from the Kitchen below at 4:20.
- We discussed this and who could be with us and, at 6:00, the flashlight on the far side of the room turned on.
- At 7:07, a door was heard slamming downstairs when all of us were in this bar area.
- We asked if they could turn the light off if they were not done speaking and wanted to continue to answer yes/no questions, and at 8:25, the light turned off.
Video 8 – Handheld:
- After a temporary hiatus, we turned the camera back on just as we previously asked if they were afraid and explained that they did not have to be afraid.
- The light remained on, and we asked if they could turn it off and at 0:49, they did just that.
- Suddenly, the opposite flashlight turned on for the first time around 1:19.
- After it shut off, we asked if they wanted us to leave, and at 3:10, the flashlight turned on and got brighter.
- The flashlight finally shut off so we then asked if they felt safe. At 7:32, the flashlight turned on but was weak.
- We asked if they could turn the lights on if – and we were cut off as both flashlights turned on at 7:46 and back off right after.
- The Ovilus showed “Portal” at 8:25 and we asked if they could turn the light on if this room or building was a portal, the flashlight turned on at 9:53.
- The word “Clean” appeared on the Ovilus at 10:27.
- As if the lights were on for a while, we asked if they could turn the lights off. At 13:54, it shut off.
- The lights flickered a few times after this then stayed on until we asked if they could turn both lights off if they wanted to follow us downstairs. At 17:49, the closer flashlight turned off then at 19:02, the second flashlight shut off.
First Floor Bar
This area was one of the locations of the funeral parlor where the Ubers conducted the majority of their business. As they transitioned from home to inn to funeral parlor/furniture shop, this particular location has seen its fair share of interesting and unique activity from simple living space to customer service, to mourning. With this array of energies contributing to this ongoing evolving space, there have been numerous accounts of residual activity including footsteps pacing the area, doors opening and closing on their own (even down to the sounds of listening in to conversations- even random ones that do not seem to fit into anything going on in the area at that time.) This is also another location where Grandma has been known to help clean up and the children will run in circles around tables getting the attention of child patrons who describe this scenario in surprisingly vivid detail to their parents’ typical nonchalant “imaginary friend” explanations.
After we promised to continue our conversation from the upstairs bar, we jumped right into a Phasma Box session in hopes of capturing some verbal communication. Almost right away, as we introduced ourselves and asked if there was anyone with us, we received two very opposite reactions: the first being a gruff “Go away” and the second a welcoming question of “Can you hear me?” followed by a greeting of “Hello.” As we advanced our communication here, we gathered that this was not a child, nor the same spirit that was upstairs with us. Instead, we seemed to get two new entities; one of which was welcoming and inquisitive whereas the second was more rude and arrogant, even to the point of mimicking us telling us that in fact (in case we didn’t realize) that we were in a restaurant full of tables and chairs. During this conversation, we did pull the name “Dave” numerous times. If this was the child’s name or the more dominant speaker, we are still uncertain. While all of this was taking place, we also surprisingly captured an entirely different conversation; one which appeared to be more residual as if we were listening in to a full conversation occurring right in our area. Toward the end of our time here, we felt pulled toward the front dining room, but as we were standing there, a figure appeared behind us on the SLS camera as if following us, trying to entice us away from this location.
- The picture is that of a full figure standing behind Dan in the SLS camera, seemingly following him from the front dining area all the way down the hallway into the bar.
Recorder 1 – Phasma Box:
- We simply asked if anyone was down here with us, and at 0:05, we heard “Go away” in one voice then a question of “Can you hear me?” at 0:07 in a different voice.
- As if the two voices were answering one another, we recorded “Just me” at 0:08.
- We then asked if we were speaking to the same person that we were speaking with upstairs and received a question of “The Child?” at 0:19 as if to ask if we were speaking to a child and that they were in fact not a child.
- The greeting of “Hello” was captured at 0:56.
- After we asked if they could tell us their age, we heard an almost condescending “Yes” at 1:38.
Recorder 2 – Phasma Box:
- After some silence, we used the Ovilus and it produced “Arrived” at 0:02 as if someone new made their way in.
- We asked them who arrived and heard another nearly condescending response of “Me” at 0:08.
Recorder 3 – Phasma Box:
- Seemingly capturing another conversation between two unseen entities, we heard one question “What’s going on here? at 0:01 followed up by a response of “They want us to go somewhere” at 0:03.
- We spoke amongst ourselves asking what drew us to this area and we jokingly said there were seats, and that similar condescending voice practically mocked us by stating the obvious that “It’s a restaurant” at 0:37.
Recorder 4 – Phasma Box:
- Our lights suddenly jumped and we heard a proclamation of “We’re here” at 0:05.
- We discussed this and again asked if it was the kids down here, and at 0:31, we heard “No.”
Recorder 5 – Phasma Box:
- As we began to talk about moving to the front dining room, at 0:03, we captured a plea of “Don’t go.”
- We heard this and asked if they came down here to play, to which we heard Jen’s name at 0:40 and a question of “Do you, Jen?” at 0:50 as if they wanted to know if Jen wanted to play.
Recorder 6 – Phasma Box:
- The group of us looked up at the front door as the lights jumped on, so naturally we asked if there was someone standing by the front door to which we heard a response of “No” at 0:05.
- As we sat and felt immediately cold, we asked if there was someone next to us, and heard a strange phrase of “Just let me go” at 0:19.
- At 0:32, we captured another strange comment of “Coming for me.”
- We then asked who’s coming for them and heard “He has” at 0:41.
Recorder 7 – Phasma Box:
- As if we began to wear out their patience, we heard “Go” at 0:02.
- Instead, we continued to press and asked who was coming for them and heard a simple and open-ended response of “Someone” at 0:04.
- We then heard a strange bell-like sound at 0:40 followed by the word “Basement” at 0:45.
- At first, we thought we heard a name and asked ‘Who?’ but heard a response of “Huh?” at 0:57 as if we confused them.
Recorder 8 – Phasma Box:
- We attempted to get a name and asked numerous times who we were speaking with, but in this moment we believe we captured a residual conversation as if we were stepping back into the past. At 0:06, we heard “For your protection” followed by “I insist on it” at 0:10.
- This was continued with a phrase of “Good luck” at :15 followed by the location name of “Kitchen” twice at 0:25 and 0:30.
- As if continuing this thought, we heard an odd saying of “I like to freeze” at 1:05 and “Terrorize” at 1:07.
Recorder 9 – Phasma Box:
- After these strange captures, we heard, what we believe is finally a name, was “Dave” repeated at 0:01 and 0:02.
Recorder 10 – Phasma Box:
- We then caught more oddities, firstly with “You’re caught” at 0:08 followed by “You’re friends, too” at 0:11.
- As if this was more residual communication, it continued with “Smash his head” at 0:15 followed by “Going out back” at 0:39.
Recorder 11 – Phasma Box:
- We picked up on some of these previous conversations, and thinking they were talking to us, we asked what exactly we need protection from, and at 0:05, we heard “The things you know” as if we know something that could get us hurt.
- The word “Overwhelming” was then heard at 0:40 after some silence.
- After asking them if we should be scared, we heard “I like it” at 0:59 as if they enjoyed our fear.
- Quite clearly, after asking if they liked it when Hannah spoke, we heard “No” at 1:13.
Recorder 12 – Phasma Box:
- As we seemingly once again fell into a residual conversation, we heard a voice command “Play that music” at 0:03.
- We then heard a quieter voice stating “Listen” at 0:52 followed by what sounded like a communication not involving us, but about us, stating “They’re watching us” at 0:53.
Recorder 13 – Phasma Box:
- After spotting a figure in the SLS camera, we asked if that was them standing behind us. As if responding telling us it was someone else, we heard what sounded like “Inspector” at 0:14 followed by “Keep guessing” at 0:31.
- We told them we’d give them some space and heard “I appreciate that,” almost sounding as if they had gratitude, at 10:21.
Recorder 14 – Phasma Box:
- We attempted to make more conversation with the flashlight, and asked them to turn the flashlight on, and at 0:15, we heard “Go.”
- After continuing to press without hearing the previous command, we heard another voice nicely ask if “Are we getting in your way?” at 0:40.
- Focusing back on the flashlight, we asked if they could turn the light on if we’re sitting in their seats, and at 1:11, we heard “There’s another” as if there was someone else sitting there.
- We overheard a command of “Sit down, please” at 1:22. We originally thought they were speaking to us but then heard a response of “My knees are giving” at 1:25 followed by “I have to” at 1:32 as if someone were finally giving in to their unearthly urge.
Recorder 15 – Phasma Box:
- Once again, we heard the name “David” at :02 but this time followed by “Dead husband” at 0:09 as if pointing us in the direction of who Dave/David was at one time.
Recorder 16 – Phasma Box:
- We believe we picked up more residual communication as we heard “Accidents” at 0:05 followed by “Weather” at 0:15.
Recorder 17 – Phasma Box:
- While we questioned this strange communication within our group, we then heard more oddities with a full phrase of “I booked a reservation” at 0:03.
- Unsure if this was residual or intelligent, we heard this at the time and repeated what it said to which we heard “What date?” at 0:18.
Recorder 18 – Phasma Box:
- A very disturbing phrase of “Bitch, you’re f*cked” was heard at 0:01 as if they had sincerely grown sick of us.
Recorder 19 – Phasma Box:
- While we were interrupted by that anomaly, we attempted to continue our previous conversation and asked how many people were in their party and captured a response of “Just me” at 0:09.
- While we didn’t hear this response in real time, we repeated the question which is when we heard “What?” at 0:22 so we once again repeated this question, not realizing they were just confused why we repeated the question. So at 0:49, we heard “Not this time.”
- We then asked if we could get a name for the reservation and heard the beginning of a response “Umm, it’s…” at 1:23 as if they were cut off.
- We repeated this question as we couldn’t hear the name and they simply replied “I dunno” at 1:45.
Video 1 – Handheld:
- We were slightly delayed getting the camera on but as we turned it on the Ovilus showed “Arrived” at 0:12 as if someone made their way in.
- We asked who arrived and heard another response of “Me” at 0:18.
- Capturing another conversation between two unseen entities, we heard a question of “What’s going on here? at 2:21 followed by a response of “They want us to go somewhere” at 2:23.
- We discussed what drew us to this area and jokingly said there were seats, and that condescending voice mocked us by stating that “It’s a restaurant” at 2:57.
- Our lights jumped and we heard “We’re here” at 3:25.
- We again asked if it was the kids down here, and at 3:51, we heard “No.”
- As we began to talk about moving to the dining room, at 6:28, we captured “Don’t go.”
- We heard this and asked if they came here to play, and heard “Jen” at 7:05 and “Do you, Jen?” at 7:15 as if they wanted to know if Jen wanted to play.
- We all looked up at the front door as the lights jumped on, so we asked if there was someone standing by the front door to which we heard “No” at 8:50.
- We sat and felt immediately cold, we asked if there was someone next to us, and heard a phrase of “Just let me go” at 9:04.
- At 9:17, we heard a comment of “Coming for me.”
- We asked who’s coming for them and heard “He has” at 9:26.
- Wearing out their patience, we heard “Go” at 10:17.
- We asked who was coming for them and heard a response of “Someone” at 10:19 followed by a strange bell-like sound at 10:55 then “Basement” at 11:00.
- We thought we heard a name and asked ‘Who?’ but heard a response of “Huh?” at 11:12 as if we confused them.
- We asked numerous times who we were speaking with, but we believe we captured a residual conversation as if we were stepping back to the past. At 12:01, we heard “For your protection” followed by “I insist on it” at 12:05.
- This continued with “Good luck” at 12:10 followed by the location of “Kitchen” at 12:20 then a jumping light at 15:07. “Kitchen” was once again heard at 12:25.
- We heard an odd saying of “I like to freeze” at 13:00 and “Terrorize” at 13:02.
- We then heard, what we believe is a name, was “Dave” repeated at 14:16 and 14:17.
- We caught more oddities here: “You’re caught” at 15:08 followed by “You’re friends, too” at 15:11.
- This communication continued with “Smash his head” at 15:15 followed by “Going out back” at 15:39.
- We picked up on this conversation, and thinking they were talking to us, we asked what we need protection from, and at 16:25, we heard “The things you know” as if we know something that could get us hurt.
- “Overwhelming” was heard at 17:00 after some silence.
- We asked if we should be scared and heard “I like it” at 17:19 as if they enjoyed our fear.
- After asking if they liked it when Hannah spoke, we heard “No” at 17:33.
- We once again fell into a residual conversation and heard a voice command “Play that music” at 18:18 followed by a quiet voice saying “Listen” at 19:07 and then what sounded like a communication stating “They’re watching us” at 19:08.
- We noticed a figure in the SLS camera and asked if that was them standing behind us. We heard what sounded like “Inspector” at 20:39 followed by “Keep guessing” at 20:56.
- We told them we’d give them some space and heard “I appreciate that,” as if they had gratitude, at 21:46.
- We attempted more conversation with the flashlight and asked them to turn the flashlight on. At 22:15, we heard “Go.”
- We pressed without hearing the previous command and heard another voice ask “Are we getting in your way?” at 22:40.
- We then asked if they could turn the light on if we’re sitting in their seats, and at 23:12, we heard “There’s another” as if there was someone else sitting there.
- We heard “Sit down, please” at 23:22 but originally thought they were speaking to us. We then heard a response of “My knees are giving” at 23:25 followed by “I have to” at 23:32 as if someone were finally giving in to their urge.
- Once again, we heard the name “David” at 23:47 followed by “Dead husband” at 23:54 as if pointing us in the direction of who Dave/David was at one time.
- We believe we picked up more residual communication as we heard “Accidents” at 26:05 followed by “Weather” at 26:15.
- We questioned this strange communication ourselves, we heard more oddities with a full phrase of “I booked a reservation” at 26:48.
- We then repeated what it said to which we heard “What date?” at 24:03.
- A disturbing phrase of “Bitch, you’re f*cked” was heard at 27:16 as if they had grown sick of us.
- Even though we were interrupted by that anomaly, we continued our previous conversation and asked how many people were in their party and captured a response of “Just me” at 27:44.
- We didn’t hear this response in real time so we repeated the question when we heard “What?” at 27:57 so we repeated this question, not realizing they were just confused why we repeated the question. So at 28:24, we heard “Not this time.”
- We asked if we could get a name for the reservation and heard the beginning of a response “Umm, it’s…” at 28:58 as if they were cut off.
- We repeated the question and they replied “I dunno” at 29:20.
This stereotypically low ceiling, a stone-walled, dirt-floored basement is used for storage and kegs by the restaurant. It was altered and re-designed by the current owners when they purchased it but there have been rumors of a dark and disturbing past during the time between the owners purchasing and the building falling into abandonment. It has been passed down through the town that some vandals broke in and performed satanic rituals here, even though none of this has been confirmed by police reports or anything finite. However, the current employees have been said to be extremely disturbed to go to the basement and even refuse to go down alone. There have been reports of people who spend much time in this area that have been scratched and pushed. This dark and heavy energy area has been so packed with negativity that some of the local mediums who have entered the room could not spend much time down here before they had to leave the property in its entirety.
We decided to leave a stationary camera down in this area, and unfortunately, after only about an hour and a half, the batteries powering the camera and the IR light were both completely drained and the last video was corrupted. We were unable to discover what occurred toward the end of those clips to cause this. Our minimal time spent down here produced a knocking noise and what sounded like a growl. The knock was heard by us as we were there but the growl was only audible through the recording. The area itself did feel darker and very much unwelcoming unlike the rest of the building.
- There were no pictures captured here that produced anything otherworldly.
Recorder 1 – EVP:
- After discovering that our batteries were drained, we asked them if there was anyone down there with us that was draining our batteries to use for themselves. At 0:09, there was what sounded like a growl followed immediately by a knocking sound.
Video 1-4 – Stationary:
- These were all clips taken from the camera left in the basement, just taping the entire time we were moving around and investigating. There was nothing substantial that occurred here but we wanted to share the location and how we set these up. There should be many more that we could have sorted through but unfortunately the battery was completely drained and the final video of this occurrence was corrupted because of this.
First Floor Front Dining Room
On the first floor, nearest to the storefront and the road is located one of the main dining locations throughout the building. This room has been part of the restoration aspect of the building and has been through numerous changes throughout the years. Much like the bar area on this floor, there would have been a slew of activity throughout the years including its current iteration of the restaurant. This is another one of the areas Grandma has experienced awaiting visitors to lift their legs so she could sweep underneath them and even another spot the kids have been noticed running around. This is also the spot where an unseen force pounded trays against the wall so hard that the plaster chipped away from the wall. From past investigations, this room has been said to hold a darker presence and even startled some so much that they ended up leaving the property altogether.
We were drawn to this spot originally during our time in the First Floor Bar and as we ventured back from that spot is when we noticed the figure on the SLS camera standing behind us as if they followed us. We attempted some pendulum communication to no avail. The entire time spent here we felt as though we were being watched from outside the room and we even heard some footsteps echoing from the hallway behind us at one point. We didn’t feel as though we received much verbal communication here until we reviewed the evidence and realized that they told us to get out and that they did not like us in here with them. There was also an odd banging sound and the door creaking we captured that we eventually took as signs that they seemingly left the area.
- There were no pictures taken here out of the ordinary, however, what is below is when we attempted a Pendulum session in this area.
Recorder 1 – Phasma Box:
- As we quietly began the recording, at 0:28, we heard a very polite “Please get out.”
- We asked if they liked us being in the room and, at 0:38, we heard “I don’t.”
Recorder 2 – Phasma Box:
- As we began to slowly pack up, after some silence and no response whatsoever, we heard an odd banging sound outside the room at 0:05 followed by a door closing at 0:28 as if signifying they had left the room.
Video 1 – Handheld:
- As we began the recording, at 0:33, we heard “Please get out.”
- We asked if they liked us being in the room and, at 0:45, we heard “I don’t.”
- The word “Safe” appeared on the Ovilus at 9:32 and footsteps were heard in the hallway behind us at 13:30.
Video 2 – Handheld:
- As we began to pack up we heard an odd bang outside the room at 9:05 followed by a door closing at 9:28 as if signifying they had left the room.
Upon a thorough review and complete analysis of our evidence captured during our overnight paranormal investigation of the North Country Brewery, we can confidently conclude that this historic location in Slippery Rock, PA hosts a unique combination of energies, intelligence, and residual hauntings. With a stockpile of evidence from still photographs, thermal images, verbal recordings, and physical video recordings, we determine that we did capture a significant amount of compelling evidence of possible otherworldly activity.
As this building has gone through an organic change of industry, based mainly through only two families during its entire life cycle, there have been numerous businesses and living quarters which have come and gone since its original inception. Starting with the Ubers’ family home to a bed and breakfast to finally landing on a funeral parlor and furniture shop, mainly due to the disastrous climate of the Civil War. This first family of the Ubers had seen everything from the happiness of a young family to young couples purchasing their first house furniture to the misery and despair of those who had lost loved ones. Combine this with the new iteration of the property of a restaurant and brewery. This brings an entirely new atmosphere of families enjoying themselves over a single dinner to a large age range simply enjoying a drink at the bar or burying their emotions in alcohol. This extreme change in energies can certainly leave an impact not just on those it directly affects, but also on the building and property as imprints over time.
Some of these spirits have returned to this emotionally charged building to either replay their past events or show their dominance in the afterlife, claiming this area as their own. Others, which we came in contact with, have been willing and able to verbally communicate to give us information about themselves while on the flip side of that communication others still are lost and confused. There did appear to be a more welcoming and lighter air to the location as a whole, while some of these spirits and energies seemed almost devious to a point, not entirely dangerous or harmful. The only area that may host negativity would be the basement where we heard the unsettling growl and knocking sounds even though we didn’t experience many negative reactions outside of that. We would like to be invited back again to dig deeper into the basement area. We feel that we barely scratched the surface of what could possibly be hanging around down there.
Right off the bat, possibly feeding off our energy or at least having the wherewithal that we were coming to speak with them, some strange occurrences began even during our walkthrough. We began by finding Roy’s name written on a beam, to a water leak/electrical issue, finally culminating with the jukebox bursting open on its own. The unseen DJ even managed to play some music relating directly to the events unfolding in front of us. From there, we immediately dove in and we were pulled to the second floor in the front dining room. There were no odd feelings but we did capture what sounded like some running water. Overall, no substantial communications were collected in this area. Things rarely begin immediately.
With much anticipation, and being located right off the dining area, we moved into Grandma’s Bathroom. Here, we recorded some EVPs and also used some of our light-up devices. After Derrick sat in Grandma’s chair (without asking) a loud knocking was heard, but not before we captured a whispering voice that we didn’t even hear until after we played the recording back. Although we cannot decipher exactly what is being said, we can confidently say that Derrick should NOT have sat in the chair without asking permission. As we listened back to the recording while still in Grandma’s bathroom, the lights would activate suggesting they enjoyed hearing themselves. Here, we do not believe we encountered Grandma, but rather something or someone a little more sinister… at the very least negative.
From here, we moved toward the Second Floor Bar where we experienced a slew of flashlight activity and some minimal Spirit Box communication. Our experiences here tell us that there was a child spirit we were talking about within this area. As with other children we have run into at other locations, they were just playing with our equipment. In the recordings, we did capture the name Roy a few times, but this could also be a sign that the child was just playing with us. Our cameras also picked up a few odd occurrences of light anomalies but more importantly, it captured the Kitchen door opening and revealing a black mass that appeared out of nowhere and disappeared inside that very room as the door slammed close.
Following a slight break, we explored the First Floor Bar where we captured intelligent communication thanks in large part to the Phasma Box and those North Country Brewing Company employees who were helping us talk to their spirits. We were greeted here but ultimately told to go away. We did seem to get mocked as we were told that this was a restaurant and of course there were seats here. We found out, based on this conversation, that there was someone else almost controlling this spirit. We did capture the name Dave and David numerous times as if telling us their name. We also seemingly overheard some residual conversation with certain phrases that fit together but were not directed toward us or our questions.
At this point, we were drawn into the Front Dining Room only to capture what appeared to be a figure standing behind us on the SLS as we entered this location. We did not capture much communication here although we did hear commands of, “leave” and “get out.” The Basement was not the main target for our direct communication sessions but rather we set up a stationary camera in hopes of capturing the shadow that has been said to appear here, although upon spending just a couple of minutes here we heard a growling noise followed by a pounding.
Based on ours and the North Country Brewing Company employees (Jen, Hannah, and Kevin), personal experiences combined with the evidence captured on our equipment and recording devices, we believe that the North Country Brewing Company in Slippery Rock, PA holds a plethora of energy drawn to it. We encountered both intelligent and residual energies and spirits. Our evidence shows that this combination of activity appears quite active but also light, warm, and welcoming. The otherworldly guests that reside in the building are that of children, a dominant presence looking over the entire building and possibly employees and guests alike (with a possible name of Dave or David), and another darker entity that seems to simply lurk in dark corners and look on as if jealous of the life that is occurring all around them. This energy hides for the most part in the basement to get away from the crowds of living people. While there can be numerous explanations and theories as to why some spirits are attached to certain areas inside the building and the building itself, we believe that this historic location was held in high regard both during their lives and after, so much so that those returning spirits may have held special memories and important aspects of their lives in this very building, for the better or worse.
After our investigation of the Harmony Inn a few years ago, we were delighted to work with the fine folks from North Country Brewing Company once again. Their energy and hospitality never go unappreciated. We loved having Jen, Kevin, and Hannah share in the experiences and fun the investigation of their location brought to us. We would love to return to the North Country Brewing Company in Slippery Rock to continue to dive into some of the evidence we captured. A huge thank you goes out to the fine owners and team at North Country Brewing Company for trusting us with your stories and your spirits.